Institute for Nonprofit Organizations
Apply to the Nonprofit Program
Master of Arts in Nonprofit Management and Leadership
Certificate in Nonprofit
Request an intern for
*The Fall 2017 admissions portal will open in August.*
A. Apply to the UGA Graduate School online. Visit the UGA Graduate School Website to apply and view requirements and fees. TAP and UGA Honors students must also apply to the Graduate School.
B. Submit three additional departmental requirements directly to the MNML program office to the email or mailing address below.*
1. Resume/CV. Submit a current resume or curriculum vitae detailing work, educational, professional and volunteer experience.2. Goals Statement. Please send a statement/essay of approximately 3 pages in length that outlines your interest in graduate education and a career in the nonprofit sector. A successful statement reflects your passion for working with nonprofit organizations, describes the impact you hope to make in your career and addresses the following questions:
- Why are you seeking a Master’s degree in Nonprofit Organizations?
- What experiences, professional and/or personal, have led you to pursue the MA NPO? Please outline why the program at UGA is of particular interest to you.
- What are your professional goals regarding work in the nonprofit sector? Please include a brief outline of your areas of interest with respect to both content (ie: environment; arts; human services; etc.) as well as process (ie: grant writing; program evaluation; program management and administration; etc.).
3. Three Letters of Recommendation (one academic and two from employment supervisor or other director/mentor). The letters may be submitted one of three ways:
a. Via email. They must be formal recommendation letters on letterhead and submitted as an attachment to the initial email. Letters in the body of the email will not be accepted. We will only accept emails sent directly from the recommender.
b. Via mail directly to the M.A. in Nonprofit Organizations Program Office. The letter of recommendation may be mailed directly to the MNML Program Office.
c. Submitted online via the Graduate School admissions web site.
*All of the above departmental requirements may be submitted electronically or by mail to the following addresses:
Mail: University of Georgia Institute for Nonprofit Organizations
M.A. in Nonprofit Organizations Program Office
School of Social Work
279 Williams St
Athens, GA 30602-7016
Testing Requirements and GPA
The M.A. in Nonprofit Organizations program requires the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) for admission, as well as a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of no less than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
• Tests taken after August 1, 2011. We recommend a total GRE score of at least 300, with more emphasis on the verbal score.
• Tests taken before August 1, 2011. The program recommends a combined GRE score of at least 1000.
MAT - The program requires a MAT score of at least 410 for admission.
GMAT - The program requires a total GMAT score of at least 533 for admission.
International Student Requirements
International applicants have additional requirements. Please visit the Graduate School webpage International Application Information for complete details.
The M.A. in Nonprofit Organizations Program does not adhere to specific deadlines for admissions. We have a rolling admissions policy and admit students for all semesters, Spring, Summer and Fall. However, we prefer for all prospective applicants to please submit their admissions materials no later than April for Summer and Fall admissions, and November for Spring admissions. This will ensure that our admissions committee will be able to review your application and make a timely decision.
Exceptional students applying for Summer and Fall semesters may also be nominated for a Graduate School Assistantship award, which has a late January, early February deadline. If you have the financial need and feel you are qualified for this award, your application materials must be completed no later than February 1. Once the M.A. in Nonprofit Organizations Program Office and the Graduate School has received all of your application materials, your application will be sent forward to the M.A. in Nonprofit Organizations Program Admissions Committee for review. You will be notified by email of the committee's decision soon thereafter.
If you have questions, please email Kat Farlowe in the M.A. in Nonprofit Organizations Program office, firstname.lastname@example.org.