Enhancing well-being through rigorous research.
Our faculty and students advance the field of social work with strong, methodologically rigorous research informed by our commitment to social justice. Our interests run from the individual to the systems level, with a firm focus on research that makes a difference in the world.
Research Changes Related to COVID-19
Below are links to information on changes to research processes related to the COVID-19 pandemic. For the latest updates and resources for school operations, please visit the School’s Coronavirus Updates & Resources web page.
- Human Subjects Office FAQ
- March 16: SSW Research Office Update
- March 18: UGA Research Office Update
- COVID-19 Research Operations at UGA
- March 19: Human Subjects Research Guidance – COVID-19 and IRB Review
- March 20: Clarification re: Human Subjects Research
- July 1: Research Resumption.
- All PIs who will be doing on-site research involving the use of UGA facilities (including faculty offices) should review the UGA Research Resumption Requirements and Policies and must prepare a Research Resumption Plan (RRP). The RRP must be approved by the School of Social Work research director, then the dean, before research can begin. An RRP is not required if you are not using any campus facilities for research. However, researchers should prepare to file one by the time Fall term classes begin on August 14.
- All PIs who will be doing face-to-face interaction with research participants must complete the Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) risk assessment and the corresponding documentation as an Institutional Review Board (IRB) amendment. If your research does not involve face-to-face contact with participants, no IRB amendment or documentation is required.
If you are planning to resume research activities that were suspended, or if you’re creating a new research protocol that involves campus facilities or face-to-face interaction, please check in with the research director for assistance in creating a more individualized plan.
Learn about faculty and doctoral student research activity in our annual publications, the Research Review and Social Justice Wanted:
|Research Review – PDF||Social Justice Wanted – PDF|